Thursday, 16 May 2013

Dambusters 70'th Anniversary Flyover

I've seen the Lancaster and Spitfire a few times since I moved to Sheffield 30 years ago.  It's even flown over my old house once.

Here are some pictures from today's Dambuster's 70'th anniversary flyover of Derwent/Howden Dams

Lancaster Bomber over Hathersage
 
 
Glad it's on "our side " and not carrying any bombs
 
Seeing this, brings home a little of the reality of WWII.  My mum, who lived in London during the war was bombed out three times.  She met my Dad, when her family went to help clear up after his house was hit by a V1.  I never heard my Mum say a bad word about the Germans, despite all her family went through.  But she never forgave their neighbours, who looted their house after one of the bombings and then invited them round to eat tea off their plates.
 
WWII is something my generation has lived vicariously through the memories and experiences of our parents.  It doesn't impact on my kids in the same way - and I think that's probably a good thing.

Spitfire accompanying the Lancaster


There's a video of today's flyover of the Dam on the BBC website.

And you can't see images like this without the music (dah, dah, dah, dah, dah da da, dah).  Goggles on chaps...






1 comment:

John said...

Nice one!
I was there for the 50th anniversary fly-past, and what a day that was! It doesn't seem like 20 years ago....I must be getting old.
JJ